The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
This hearty meatless dish borrows elements from traditional Cuban black bean recipes, such as the oregano, dried cumin, and bay leaves. However, it isn’t intended as a classic “authentic” interpretation.
Although not featured here, a tablespoon of tomato paste added prior to cooking would be a nice addition to the flavor profile of this recipe, especially if served as leftovers the next day.
Tip: Reserve the red portion of the pepper top for garnish
This recipe was tested at 30 minutes active cook time. Although the recipe works at that time, the beans were a little firm. Add an additional two minutes to the active cook time for less firm results.
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 c. dried black beans rinsed and picked over
- 1 medium red pepper seeded and cut into large pieces
- ½ medium white onion cut into large pieces
- ½ T. dried oregano
- ½ T. dried cumin
- 1 t. garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1½ c. vegetable broth
- 1 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 T. red pepper diced
- 3 T. avocado diced
- 2 T. fresh cilantro leaves
- chopped 1 whole lime cut into wedges (optional)
- 3 c. cooked white or yellow rice
- Add the beans, red pepper, onion, oregano, dried cumin, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves to Instant Pot®.
- Pour broth on top and add the lid. Set the pressure valve to “sealing” and select the “Manual” cooking option on the “High” setting. Set cook time to 32 minutes.
- When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes, and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Turn the unit off and carefully remove lid. Transfer red pepper, onion, and ½ cup broth to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour pureed vegetable mixture back into the Instant Pot® and add red wine vinegar. Season with additional salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine. Serve immediately over a bed of cooked rice, topped with chopped red pepper, avocado, and cilantro. Offer lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!