I received these cute oval cast iron mini servers as a gift and decided it would be perfect to use for this recipe. But if you don’t have them? Don’t worry – this recipe works just as well with a well-seasoned 10” cast iron skillet instead.
I normally use fresh cherries but frozen cherries are much easier to use than fresh for this recipe. Place frozen cherries in a small strainer set over a large bowl to collect the liquid while thawing. Reserve the liquid to use in smoothies, cocktails, or non-alcoholic beverages. For example, you can combine some of the cherry juice with club soda and some crushed mint for a refreshing spritzer.
- 4 9-oz. oval cast iron mini-servers. (If unavailable, use a well-seasoned 10” cast iron skillet instead)
- 4½ c. frozen black cherries thawed and chopped
- ¼ c. maple syrup preferably local
- ½ t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. ground allspice
- ¼ t. ground cloves
- 1 T. fresh thyme leaves
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ c. almond flour
- ½ c. pecans chopped
- 1/3 c. maple syrup preferably local
- 5 T. coconut oil melted, divided
- 1/8 t. table salt
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine thawed chopped cherries, maple syrup, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and thyme leaves in a bowl. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Combine rolled oats, almond flour, pecans, maple syrup, three tablespoons melted coconut oil, and salt in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Lightly grease the four 9-oz. oval cast iron baking dishes (or the 10” cast iron skillet) with remaining coconut oil.
- Divide the cherry mixture equally among the cast iron mini-servers and spread into an even layer. Divide the topping between the 4 mini-servers, as well, and spread into a thin layer on top.
- Place into pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the cherry mixture is nice and bubbly. Tip: If using a 10” skillet, cover loosely with aluminum foil after 30 minutes and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!